A story of human courage, compassion, endurance and resilience
During the Second World War, the Breeplein Church in Rotterdam South harboured a secret: three Jewish families were in hiding in the two attics high on both sides of the organ. What began, in their mind, as a temporary shelter for six weeks became a refuge for three years. The story of the Breeplein Church is one of courage, hope and trust, a story full of wonders… the birth of a perfectly healthy baby, and, during a raid three weeks before the liberation, the fact that the families were not discovered.
Curious about the full story? Read the book The Organ Attics – People in hiding in the Breeplein Church in Rotterdam, written by Anja Matser.
Guided tours have been discontinued
The guided tours of the Organ Attics in the Breeplein Church in Rotterdam have been discontinued for the time being. They will resume as soon as the current restrictions due to the Corona Virus have been lifted.
Would you like to receive notification of resumed guided tours? If so, please fill in the form on the Guided Tours page.
The Executive Committee of the Organ Attics Foundation
Who will pick up the challenge?
The Stichting Orgelzolders (the Organ Attics Foundation) is looking for male or female tour guides.
- Would you like to delve further into the history of the Jewish families who were in hiding at the Breeplein Church in Rotterdam during the Second World War? And learn more about the motives that drove their helpers?
- Would you like to ensure that this story of the Organ Attics continues to be told?
- Do you think that persecution and discrimination should no longer exist? And that this opinion should be encouraged in and shared with school children and all young people?
- Are you willing to be a tour guide for the Organ Attics, enthusiastically telling the story to young and old visitors and answering their questions?
- Do you feel that not being paid for this work is of no importance?
Then you only need to do one thing: send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Let us know:
- Your name, age, address, and telephone number
- Subject of study or occupation
We will contact you as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance for your initiative!
Dilia van der Heem
Read the book The Organ Attics
The English version of the book on the families in hiding in the Organ Attics
To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands, the book about the Jewish families in hiding in the Breeplein Church in Rotterdam has been translated in English.
In this book, the author Anja Matser tells the improbable but true story of the six adults and a baby born during their long period in hiding. Ahmed Aboutaleb, the mayor of Rotterdam, has written the introduction.
Both The Organ Attics (€ 10) and the original book in Dutch, De Orgelzolders. Onderduikers in de Rotterdamse Breepleinkerk (18,95), can be bought via this website. Please go to the page “The Books” for more information.